Re: Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint
From: "Daniel Elder" <Vitesse6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:39:34 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The question was asked if any one had used Bill Hirsch "Miracle" Paint. I
used it to paint the floors and rear wheel arches inside and out on my
Sports 6 frame off restoration. I first used a wire brush wheel in my
grinder and the applied it with disposable foam "brushes". I only used it
where rust was limited to surface rust. Any deeper rust I had already sand
blasted and patched with new metal.
Advantages:
    1) Much quicker and easier that sand blasting, priming and painting
these large areas.
    2) With practice a fairly good smooth appearance can be obtained for the
relatively hidden areas in which I used it.
    3) It seems to leave a well sealed surface which should resist rust.
Disadvantages:
    1) This stuff stains anything it touches including skin and clothes and
is virtually impossible to clean up. Thats why I used disposable foam
brushes. ( plus no "brush" marks ).  Wear heavy rubber gloves.
    2) The major down side is that this paint seems to be more easily
scratched off than if I had sanded, primed with etch primer and painted. I
suspect that the paint sticks well to the rust but the rust does not stick
as well to the base metal under it.
All in all I would use it again where appearance is not critical and where
rust protection is needed.  It has it's place but I wouldn't call it a
"Miracle"
Dan