Not your usual oil leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Not your usual oil leak
From: Davgil <Davgil@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:08:43 EDT
Being new to the list and having the double burden of a lack of mechanical
skills, I would like to ask the advice of the collective wisdom of the list
about a problem with my '76 TR6.  After driving, I have found that there is a
small pooling of oil on top of the valve cover around the oil fill cap.  The
cap appears to be in good condition and appears to seal well so there is
apparently some pressure causing the oil to leak or the valve cover is
possibly flexing in
some manner to allow the oil to escape past the cap.  The car does not
otherwise appear to have any oil leaks (which may be another problem in itself
if all I've heard about LBCs is true).  This is more of an aesthetic issue at
present, but I am concerned that this may be a symptom of a developing
problem.  I might also mention that the car has 52,000 miles and is only an
occasional joyride vehicle, not a daily driver.

To possibly further confuse a separate issue that has been thoroughly
discussed, I
spoke with a friend of mine who grew up in a performance engine shop in
Southern California about coolants.  He said that they never eliminated the
thermostat but that they typically drilled a 1/16" (I believe) hole through
the thermostat to give some additional protection to the engine in the event
the thermostat failed in a closed position.  This may be old hat to you, but I
found it to be an interesting concept.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

David Gill
'76 TR6