Re: Draining the radiator

To: sweisman@gis.net
Subject: Re: Draining the radiator
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:34:45 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> I have a question:  My TR-3 bottom
> radiator drain is frozen in place, and I am afraid to put too much pressure
> on it.  Do you know a way to free it safely, or shall I continue to drain
> the radiator the "messy" way, by loosening the bottom hose?

Sumner -
You can try your favorite rust dissolver on the spigot, but whatever you
do, don't apply too much force! The spigot will break out of the
radiator fairly easily, as radiators are made more or less of aluminum.

As a long time bottom hose loosener, I understand your frustration,
trying to get that bucket down into the front suspension where the water
will drain out, only to spill half the contents when you lift it out of
there :{ But if you break off the spigot, you'll have the same mess AND
a shot radiator.

Consider at some point pulling out the radiator and taking it to a shop.
They can replace the spigot and clean up the radiator, inside and out,
probably for less than $100.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald with brand new radiator spigot
'68 TR250