PI Datum Adjustment

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PI Datum Adjustment
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:39:14 +0100
Hello Listers,

Can anyone advise on this one?

A couple of weeks ago, I reset the datum track adjustment on my PI saloon.
With the top gap set at 3 thou. the bottom gap could be set to a minimum of
about 62 thou. This imrproved fuel consumption from 16 to 21 mpg.

Had another go today. Set the top gap to a tight 2 thou., the lower gap
remains at about 60 thou. The car now runs with an irregular, splashy
misfire at tickover and pinks under heavy throttle, i.e. it seems a touch
weak.

I'm puzzled as to why I can't get the correct 55 thou. at the bottom end of
the track. Does the full throttle setting dictate the ultimate travel of the
datum track carrier? ( I can't see how, although  it's position indicates it
might.) Incidentally, the bush on which the whole asssembly swings to give
starting enrichment doesn't seem worn.

Also,  would it be feasible to detach the mixture unit from the pedestal,
where the drive dog fits. I want to do this so I can tilt the unit and be
able to see what I'm doing?

Finally, are PIs known for killing plugs? The Bosch set fitted show a very
poor spark, although the end of the lead can generate a spark across a 1/4
inch gap to earth. I've got Champion N7Ys in now and it seems better.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Hill