TR250/TR5 door mirror

To: <aephoto@netacc.net>
Subject: TR250/TR5 door mirror
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 22:27:56 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 98 10:07:07 -0400
From: aephoto <aephoto@netacc.net>

On Friday May 15, Allen Hess wrote:

>At Carlisle, in the car show, I saw a very nice blue-green 4A from
>Ontario with a door mirror which I like very much. (the owner was not
>present to ask him these questions) Checking Piggot's book, this mirror
>was standard on the TR5/250. It has a curved arm with a round base and a
>trapazoidal mirror. The Roadster Factory lists it in the 250 catalog.
>They said it was a reproduction piece and 'out of stock'. Victoria
>British illustrates a 'straight arm fender mirror' with a 'curved arm'
>version also available. An ad in one of the British magazines has four
>mirrors and arms stating that they are all interchangable.

Allen

Don't know your plans to exhibit your car in Concours but the plan to use
this mirror might not please judges. The mirror you describe first appeared
on the 250 and 5. I don't know what you expect of a door mirror and maybe
the ones advertised have a better glass than the original factory fitted
units. With due deference to those listers with such mirrors, I can only
say
I found them to be pretty useless. Mind you, I was using them driving in
England
 - but they weren't all that much good in giving me rearward visibility of
the pedestrians
 I'd sucked off the pavement in the slipstream. My feelings on this mirror
were shared
by quite a number of people and at the 1000 mile service, we often ripped
off the factory
unit and replaced it with a better version.

I notice this mirror is still sold in the UK by Classic Collection, 143
Cannon Hill Lane,
Raynes Park, London. Fax #  (44) 181 543 0896.

The mirror in question is a 'D' type having a chrome arm which is
adjustable for tilt and the mirror head is polished stainless steel. The
mirror and stem costs £16.50 plus VAT so this runs out at £19.39 (US$31.00
approx) plus P&P. This mirror looks identical in every way to the one we
used. There's an added advantage that it WAS a Triumph factory approved
accessory as well.
The base is spring loaded. This means if anyone accidentally knocks into
it, you can flick it back into position. IMHO a far better product than the
OE unit.

No financial interests and I've never used the company mentioned above

John Macartney