MK1 Spitfire OD ???

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MK1 Spitfire OD ???
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:47:49 -0600
I recieved my OD yesterday and now have a few questions for those of
you who either have one of these in their car or has seen one
installed.

There appears to be an extra switch mounted on the gearbox shifter
cover on the left side.  The one on the right is present and has the
original factory bracket.  The one on the left has what appears to be
a bent piece of sheet metal as a bracket.  The switch itself appears
to be just like the one on the right side of the gear box.  The
unkown switch activates off the same activator lever.  The lever
appears to be correct and has two ears, one on each side.

My main question is what is this switch for?  Is it something that
someone added on there on for some unknown reason?  Is this a factory
fix for something?

Is the D type OD something that I could rebuild myself?  I rebuilt
the tranny on my Mk1 and it seems to be doing ok.  Is the OD unit
more complex or does it require tools that I wouldn't have access to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame painted, now suspension)