Re: TR6 oil pressure

Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 12 May 1998 22:52:31 -0400
Allen Nugent[SMTP:A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au] writes:
>> I'd like to know who was the bozo who first decided to use units of mass
>> (or mass over area) to indicate pressure! Anyway, I assume you meant "7
>> kg per sq. cm", so I converted to PSI (which is the more familiar unit
>> for automotive oil pressure), and got 100.
>>
>> This certainly is high. I've got an uprated relief spring in my oil
>> pump, and it maxes at 80 PSI. Maybe your relief valve is jamming on
>> something?

[ de-lurking after many months of spending my time worrying about
  my '80 Rover SD1 (on the road now :-), Spridgets ('66 awaiting
  restoration), and Merkur XR4Ti - the TR6 hasn't needed any work recently ]

        100PSI is the normal TR6 relief valve setting.  Worn TR6 engines
often won't get 100PSI except when cold, or not even then.  My '70 gets
90-95psi at cold idle, and 65-75psi hot at rpm, and 30-50 psi at hot idle.
Many other engines have lower oil pressure settings: my old Sprites had the
relief set for 60PSI.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com