Gas smell - help!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gas smell - help!
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:42:13 -0700
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8950013573alinkens@fargo>
Help!
For a long time I have had a problem with strong smells of petrol in the car
(2500S Estate) when driving.
In the recent hot weather it has got noticeably worse such that when the
windows are open and the car is either stationary or moving slowly the smell is
really nauseating.
It's got to the stage where I've got to find and fix this problem before
something horrible happens - also constant intake of these fumes must be bad
for my family's health.
I've tried looking over the petrol tank but can't see any leaks but can get
whiffs from time to time. I can smell raw fuel about the rear carb from time to
time when the car is idling. I've changed the shut-off valve in the float
chamber and resealed the gasket etc but to no avail.
The question is - could the smell be coming from the rear or the front of the
car. ie when the windows are open, does the air from the rear of the car (where
the tank is) circulate towards the front or does the air from the engine bay
come through small gaps/holes in the firewall into the car and then out of the
windows? If I could track the source then I think that I could concentrate on
fixing the problem.
any help gratefully appreciated
Andy
MKII 2500S Estate