re: TR250 Restroation Project - Will It BE Too Much

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: re: TR250 Restroation Project - Will It BE Too Much
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:04:22 -0500
Thomas  Winslow writes:
<<My vision is a 100pt restoration - my reality may be much less. I have never
restored a car. My idea is that I would have the professionals do the
professional work and I would do the 'dumb' work. Several questions come to
mind:
<major snippage>

What to do? Any encouragement out there? Any suggestions? Maybe I am just a
chicken.>>

Thomas:  do you want to show the car or drive the car?  True 100pt
cars aren't driven... if they are, they're no longer a 100pt car.  If your
goal is a beautiful car that's fun to drive, you can do that for a small
percentage of the price of a "full restoration".  (I helped complete a
$35,000 restoration on a Corvair Spyder.  A nice driver is well under
$8,000.)  Plus, you can add small "non-stock" things (better tires,
shocks, electronic ignition, etc.) which make the car drive _better_
than new.

Encouragement? As one of many Triumph fans, I would _love_ to have
 a presentable TR250 to use as a weekend driver!  I would make sure
 it's mechanically "right" and then spend what I could on cosmetics.
The decision you have to make is $ versus results you'll be happy with.
 For me, badges and trim come after bodywork, paint, and interior.

Just have a plan before you start throwing $ at it.

Just my .02.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI
'71 TR6
mechanically "right", bodywork and paint finished, interior next.....