Re: Trunion

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Trunion
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 21:33:29 -0400
Cc: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe;
You have to marvel sometimes at the English language. Trunnions, indeed.
According to the Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary- (approx.
2500 pages.)
trunnion -n. [Fr.trognon, a stump , a trunk, diminuitive of tron, tronc, a
trunk.]
1. either of two cylindrical projections from the side of a cannon, mortar,
etc. which rest in the cheeks of the carriage, forming supports for the
piece and an axis on which it pivots.  ( Hmmm, an axis on which it pivots-
ok)
2. one of the hollow axes on which the cylinder of an oscillating steam
engine reciprocates, and through which steam is received and exhausted. (
Uhhh, no, sorry can't picture that.)
Well, now that Rolls-Royce & Volkswagen and Daimler-Benz & Chrysler are
getting together we're likely to hear all kinds of weird terms used in
conjunction with autos.
Here's another for you- trebuchet (from the Old Fr.)- a medieval war engine-
a counterweighted lever that had the ability to hurl large stones. I vividly
recall reading in the Wall Street journal about 15 years ago  about this
knighted English fellow who used his trebuchet to hurl LBC's, junk grand
pianos and sheep carcass' hundreds of yards  down the meadow.

Just a little fun with the language,

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6 CF50278U