Spinning Wheel Stud

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spinning Wheel Stud
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 07:59:08 -0700
Cc: jay@rih.org, doward@jht.com, vitess@juno.com, A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au
Thanks to all who responding to my question of how
to remove the lug nut from the wheel stud when the
stud has come lose from the hub (Jay, Don, Hugh, Allen).

Here's what I did:

1.      Couldn't find a lug or nut splitter that was large
        enough for the lug nut on the 6.
2.      Marked the center of the lug nut using a nail setting
        tap.
3.      Started drilling out the cneter of the lug all the
        way back to where the tappered end of the lug is.
4.      Progressively increased the bit size until I was just
        under the diameter of the stud (about a 1/2"). Used
        vise grips, locked onto the stud, to prevent the
        stud and lug nut from spinning while I drilled.
5.      Used the vise grip pointing straight out from the
        lug and wiggled it up, down & sideways. The stud
        snapped off right at the base of the lug nut and I
        can now remove the tire, brake drum and bad stud
        to replace with new one and some lock tight.

All in all, more nerve racking than difficult. Took about
a half hour and the need to rent a 1/2" drill.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6