Re: How long will an engine last?<199805060326.NAA25643@sam.comms.unsw.E

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: How long will an engine last?<199805060326.NAA25643@sam.comms.unsw.EDU.AU>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:58:30 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
[snip]
>I would certainly expect less of the 3-main bearing crankshaft engines than
>the 5-main's. However, lightened conn-rods and correct balancing of all
>rotating and reciprocating parts should significantly reduce the bearing
>stresses and thrust-side wear, in a properly rebuilt motor. Hardened crank
>journals sould help, too. Surely one could expect > 100,000 _miles_ after
>such work!

On my bodged togethor Spitty engine, ie, 'good' block and pistons', a cam and
timing gear out of another engine, and a cylinder from somewhere else, I have
clocked up 80,000 miles since Dec 94, with no major problems with the engine,
except when I let a washer go through No.2 18 months ago(My fault), once I'd
removed piston, extracted bits of washer from the top, filed smooth and
replaced piston, all was well again :-)  Admittedly it is now getting very
tired for some reason, although as stated yesterday, I am still getting 145psi
compression on ALL cylinders, even No.2!!! :-)  This engine is the 1300 big
bearing apparently crappy engine, although in my ownership it has been
constantly thrashed(saw 115mph on the clock 'once'), revved to 6500-7000rpm,
has not had 'regular' oil changes, runs on unleaded about 80% of the time(No,
it hasn't had inserts fitted) and is generally only maintained when absolutely
neccessary!!!!

Anyone wanna buy a Spitfire?? :-)

Everyone takes the pi*s out of it, but for an initial purchase price of 200
quid I don't think it's done too bad. :-)

Cheers

Rich