Re: Tamara's being awkward

To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Tamara's being awkward
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 5 May 1998, David Hill wrote:

> Tamara, my 2.5PI, is playing all sorts of nasty tricks on me right now. Has
> anyone any ideas?

I always have ideas, but only rarely do I get a good one.

> I've relined these, put on new slave cylinders, pipes and nipples. I've also
> fitted a new rear handbrake cable. The car has just squeaked through its
> MOT, with low effort on the right rear handbrake. When I stripped it at the
> weekend, I found that the self adjuster ratchet has been fitted the wrong
> way round. However, curing this has only slightly improved the handbrake.
> The shoes have not yet bedded, although the footbrake performance is good
> and is equal on both sides.

So if I get this right-- the juice brakes act fine but the handbrake
'pulls' the car to one side (right, I guess) when you yank it...?

If this is the case I'd first be sure that all the handbrake cables are
greased, especially the compensator that operates the right-left cables.
If the car is unlike my TR4 and uses two seperate cables coming right off
the handbrake then I'd check to be sure that one hasn't stretched.

> The linkage seems OK and the shoes move when the handbrake lever on the back
> plate is operated by hand

They may not move enough.  Are both brake backing plates secure?  How
about the mechanisms for the handbrake?

> I'm a bit baffled as to why one brake should work and the other not. Any
> clues?

A quick brake adjustment (with self adjusting brakes, that is) is to drive
backwards then tromp on the brakes.  lather, rinse, repeat.  If the pedal
hardens up, then your brakes need(ed) adjusting :-)

-Malcolm