American emission tags

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: American emission tags
From: "Ron Roach " <rroach@sprint.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:18:46 -0700
Cc: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Hey listers!
I have a woman who's interested in buying my '78 spit here in Vancouver and
importing it to Seattle.  She's been told by American customs that the car
needs to have an emissions tag stating that the vehicle met the
federal(U.S.) emissions standards of that year, and that tag is made of
brass and located on the engine.  I've never seen this, maybe Canadian
vehicles did not have this or is mine just missing.  My other '78 doesn't
have it either.
Has anyone experienced this?  Or is the customs agent talking smoke?
Thanks in advance,
Ron