Re: Polishing Metal

To: "Gernot Vonhoegen" <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>, "Malcolm Walker" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, "'Bollen'" <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Polishing Metal
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 09:10:36 -0700
Cc: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>, "James" <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, "triumph owners digest" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
From: Dangerous Properties of  Industrial Materials, 7th edition, N. Irving
Sax, Richard J. Lewis Sr. Van Nostrand Reinhold pub.

"Chromic acid and its salts" ( oxides included ) "have a corrosive action
on the skin and mucous membranes. The lesions are confined to the exposed
parts, affecting cheifly the skin of the hands and forearms and the mucous
membranes of the nasal septum. The characteristoic lesion is a deep
penetrating ulcer, which for the most part does not tend to suppurate, and
which is slow in healing. Small ulcers, about the size of a matchhead, may
be found, cheifly around the base of the nails, on the knuckles, dorsum of
the hands and forearms. These ulcers tend to be clean and progress slowly.
They are frequently painless, even though quite deep. They heal slowly and
produce scars. On the mucous membranes of the nasal septum. the ulcers are
usually accompanied by purulent discharges and crusting. If exposure
continues, perforation of the nasal septum may result but produces no
deformity of the nose. Chromium salts are human and experimental
carcinogens of the lungs, nasal cavity, and paranasal sinus, and are also
experimental carcinogens of the stomach and larynx. Hexavalent compounds
are more toxic than trivalent. Eczematous dermatitis due to travalent
chromium compounds have been reproted."

Is that toxic enough for you. Lots of ways to polsih metal w/o using a
chromium compound. When you've been in as many old plating shop as I have
and tried to deal with an "old timer" with twitches, tics, spasms skin
cancers and ulcers and a general inability to relate cause to effect you
come away with a real respect for the nasty effects of heavy metal
exposures. For those in CA, "Chromium and its compounds are on the
Community Right to Know List"

As I've pointed out before, a lot of the solvents, paints, polishes etc
used on autos are not good for ones health. Protect yourself!  Don't learn
the hard way!

Deano

<james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>; triumph owners digest
<triumphs@autox.team.net>