(Fwd) Corvairs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (Fwd) Corvairs
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:22:27 EST5EDT
From:     Self <PUPRESS/CHRIS>
To: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au
Subject: Corvairs
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:21:32 EST5EDT

Allen,

There's more than a few of us on both listserves.... I must confess a certain
fascination
with Corvairs. They were certainly one of the most advanced "small cars" ever
produced in
the USA. Air colled alloy flat 6. Rear eng. All independent susp. -- sounds
like a 911
eh?

Unfortunately with swing axles they are prone to the same handling problems as
early
spitfires, even more so with a LOT more power. Turbos up to 150 hp. People lost
wheels
if the rear wheel bearings died.

After 1965 they went to a fully independent rear based on the Corvette
Stingray. Better
engines too. Up to 180 hp. Lots and lots of factory race goodies available.

Now these nifty cars are a fantastic deal thaks to the aforementioned Ralph
Nader.
Pretty, well sorted 1965 coupes with 110 or 140 hp engines go for $5000 or
less. Turbos
and converts a bit more....the most expensive one I ever saw was a Yenko
Stinger (special
dealer/factory opt. pack -- 200-240hp), one of 65 or so made that year
excellent cond.
$13.5K.

example:

66 Monza Convertible. 42K miles. Sat for 16 years- restored to new in 1996.
110, PG,
electric top. New  carpet, original interior. Artesian Turquoise with white
top. Must sell due to divorce. $4250. Located in Greenville, South
Carolina.

I'd have one if I had more garage space and I wasn't expecting a baby in
November.

Check out: http://www.corvair.org/

One must remember Mr Nader was a lawyer, not an engineer. He had a point about
huge
corporations bearing SOME responsibility for their products safety. He was
innocent
enough to think that the Corvair was some special case because it was
inexpensive and
different. Ralph was later heard to say "I wish I bought a bunch of them and
put them up
in a barn someplace."
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate