Re: Another TR3A starter question

To: "Kinderlehrer's" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Another TR3A starter question
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 07:50:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Bob,

If you've got a 61 TR3A, the starter you have is indeed incorrect and the
one you received from British Parts NW is the correct one. The early "long
nose" starter will not engage with the flywheel ring gear properly because
the ring gear on the 61 has a different number of teeth than that of the
early cars. I picked up a TR3 cheap once upon a time because the engine was
frozen. Turned out to be a starter jammed in the ring gear. Can't remember
which was "early" and which was "late", but the combination had  jammed it
solidly. Yes, it is engaging from the wrong direction too.

The flywheel ring gear on your car is bolted on, that of the early cars is
shrunk on, so it's easy to tell whether you have the correct ring gear
without pulling the g'box. Yours should have bolts around the periphery. Six
I think.

Ed Woods