Re: Slave cylinder & bleeding...

To: "Scott Decker" <sdecker@bellsouth.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Slave cylinder & bleeding...
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 02:23:44 GMT
Scott writes...

>revisited, I'm sure for the 47th time.  It's time to replace/rebuild the
>slave cylinder on the GT6, and without a lot of fanfare as to whose is
>better...can anyone recommend a decent 'one-man' bleeder tool?  I've seen
>the speedbleeder and the ezybleed, but reluctant to buy without input.
>Comments appreciated, please reply directly to my e-mail.

Funny...I have the Mityvac sitting in a box, unopened after three
years.

In all that time I've bled the clutch and brake system, oh, seven or
eight times for various reasons but I've never needed any assist
beyond gravity.  This is on a Spit 1500, FWIW.

Last weekend I finally got around to rebuilding the brake master
cylinder and converting to silicone.  I flushed the lines with
alcohol.  I "pre-bled" the MC by pumping the piston a few times while
covering the output holes with my fingers on the return stroke.

After installation, I filled the MC and gave it one or two strokes of
the brake pedal.  Then I opened all four bleed nipples and kept the MC
topped up as the air was purged.  When each nipple stopped "burping" I
tightened it up.  This whole procedure took less than 15 minutes and I
got much more pedal than I ever expected with DOT 5.  After a few more
days of driving I'll repeat once more and I expect that'll be the end
of it.  Last year at this time I converted the clutch hydraulics over
to silicone with the same procedure and it's been perfect.

The Spit is the be the easiest car to gravity bleed that I've owned.
I realize the GT6 brake system has a servo but I suspect it's just as
easy.  If you're not thrilled about the idea brake fluid running down
the insides or your wheels or transmission you could always attach
small hoses emptying into jars, etc...

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits