Re: I don't wanna be another DPO!

To: Scott Decker <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: I don't wanna be another DPO!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:51:27 -0400 ()
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Scott Decker wrote:

> OK, call me a fool.  I'll admit, even though I'm on my third GT6, that
> I've never had the shifter assembly apart.  The slave cylinder went out
> a couple days ago, and when I knocked it out of gear (ouch), the shifter
> became 'floppy', no reverse protection, etc.  Well, I've pulled the
> tunnel in preparation for fixing the slave, but I can't figure out what
> I'm missing on the shifter!  It just sort of hangs down on the rod.  All
> parts seem to be there, but there is no pivot point that would allow the
> shifter to row thru the gears.  What am I missing?  The Bentley book
> doesn't shed any light on the assembly of all the springs, cups, etc.

Scott, if you can't find a better picture either in Bentley or in a spare
parts catalog, go to <http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/herald/16e.htx>. This
will give you a fairly good idea of what parts are there.

Held down by the bayonet-fixed "cap" are the various springs and nylon
bits that basically keep the gear lever in place. I suspect that what is
badly worn or even disintegrated on your GT6 is the dished nylon washer up
near the top and/or the half-a-nutshell-shaped nylon bit at the bottom.

What you need is Triumph p/n 519770, the gearbox bush lever kit or
"anti-rattle" kit. 99.9% of the time, this kit will take care of all your
shifter problems.

--Andy