Lead in gasoline

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lead in gasoline
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:23:20 -0700 (PDT)
The "other" thing that leaded gas does to our cars is to reduce detonation
of the fuel-- gasoline, as we know, is highly explosive.

Detonation is when the fuel/air mix in the combustion chamber ignites too
fast for the metal parts to react; too much power, too little time.  The
lead causes the fuel to burn slower, and smoother- with reduced pinging
(pink)

I can't get leaded fuel unless I sneak onto the airport with a jerry-can,
but AvGas is too rich for my blood anyway.  I use Premium Petro-Can
Unleaded, car runs fine, pulls like a train...  Perhaps the "Trick" racing
fuel is also leaded, but again it's so hard to get in ready quantities
it's better to save that stuff for the racers.

Incidentally the Chevette will not run well on anything other than 87
octane (el cheepo) gas.  If I put mid-grade or prem. in by mistake it
splutters and coughs until I fill it with garbage gas again.

strange but true!

-Malcolm