Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?<199804

To: hank@discovernet.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?<19980411212641.AAA7564@usr1-146-27.dialup.discovernet.net>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:20:18 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK

>Hi All

>Whilst (like the British English?) removing the hardtop of my '78 Spitfire

What's British English??? :-)

>this spring, one of the front bolts wouldn't come out.  Infact what
>happened is that the captured nut started turning in the top.  I had to
>grind the head of the hex head cap screw off.  Now that I've got this top
>off the car, I'm wondering how I'll fix this!  The head liner was getting a
>bit ratty anyway so I pulled it away from the front of the top.  I can get
>my small finger onto the captured nut holder, but that's all I can get on
>it!  My question is:  has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix
>it?

Yep, Both bloody sides!!!, in the end I got a pair of mole grips(I think you
lot call them vise grips), and bent the inner metal part of the roof down and
out of the way a bit, then I whacked the caged nuts with a hammer and chisel,
this was after cutting the heads of with an angle grinder, voila roof removed,
although the 2 big gashes in the lining look shite, but it's in keeping with
the rest of the car!!! :-)  Now all I do is use normal nuts and bolts, although
if you have a 'good' car this probably isn't a good way of doing things, I
suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to make a couple of new caged nut thingys
and weld 'em back in though, unless you have got a welder, then it could get
tricky!!!! :-)

>Also, does anyone have the "b-pillar" mounting hardware for the top
>that they'd like to sell me?

Nope!! Sorry

Rich