RE: MORE on Nyloc nuts

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: MORE on Nyloc nuts
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:25:08 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> [...]

Stainless has different shear characteristics than normal carbon steel.
Stainless tends to be more brittle. As a result, stainless is a poor
choice for suspension hardware.

Stainless is okay for not stress applications. It's real bad for shear
applications.

Make a list of all the stainless that you put on your suspension and get
equiv. AN hardware from an aircraft supply or racing house.

You indicate that you used stainless nuts. I'd be very weary of these if
it were my car and I would replace them with suitable AN or grade 5 (min)
hardware.

Sorry for the bad news, although it's better to find this out before you
have a bad problem. Probably much better.

> Thanks,
>
> Peter Zaborski

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |