Re: Tie rods - washer necessary?

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Tie rods - washer necessary?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:14:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: jbonina@nectech.com, Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi,

I agree with you.

Speaking of which, I'm in the process of building a TR6 more or less a
frame up restoration, except I'm going to drive this baby really hard as in
time-trialing and possibly road racing (if I win the lottery).

At any rate, I started thinking about replacing bolts etc... I wound up
placing an order for assorted AN 364 and 365 mil. spec. elastic stop nuts
from Pegasus Racing... oh, and thin and thick washers... I spent about
$120 and got quite an assortment. The washers come in bags-o-hundred and
I got 10's and 20's quantity of ANxxx-5,-6, and -7 elastic stop nuts.

It was money well spent.

I haven't run out of anything yet, but when I get low, I'll order more
from them.

There's a lot of nuts and bolts in a car!

As for reusing elastic stop nuts, I'm taking parts from two different
parts cars, a '69 and a '72. Believe me when I tell you that the elastic
stop nuts on those cars are "perished". Man, a lot of them were downright
nasty. I live in the upper limits of the rust belt, and these babies gave
up their lives - bigtime. Some of them I could re-tighten _by hand_, so
the nyloc effect was not happening for sure. They were too far gone for
locktite too.

C ya,
rml

p.s. Justin - do yave TR6 valve cover gaskets yet???
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |