Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?

To: hank@discovernet.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 08:39:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hank,

It's been many years since I did this but, relying on dead brain-cells:

I drilled a small hole through the hard top and captive nut, next to
the bolt hole.  Then inserted a self tapping screw into the new hole
effective pinning the captive  nut into position.   None of this is
visible as the hole in on the "underside".  Also I didn't want to
disturb the  headliner.  The downside is the captive nut is less
"free" to float around in there, making alignment more difficult/
critical when fitting the hard top.  Make sure the nut is aligned
properly before you pin/weld it.

Looks like you got some good info on carbs from the list.  I'd vote
for the Weber if you want a *new* carb that will work right out of
the box.  You still might need to "file to fit" the manifold.

OTOH The SU's are very nice too.  The set I got however, required
a complete rebuild before I could use them.

To see some pictures comparing the carb choices see:
www.vtr.org/maintain/spit-carbs/index.html

[...]

--
Bob Sykes
"You can't beat your brains for entertainment."