Re: Spin on Adapters - broke block

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, mdporter@rt66.com
Subject: Re: Spin on Adapters - broke block
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 09:01:19 1998
>> I am considering changing to a spin on adapter for my TR4A.  What is the
>> difference between the the Purolator and the tecalamit?

>Vicky Brit sells an aftermarket filter adapter, as does Moss.

I had one laying around the garage, a MOCAL... it is machined incorrectly
as noted by some other list member earlier.  Inside is 1/16" too deep,
it could never work.

It hurts to say, but I tightened it too much and broke the boss of
the cast iron block on a TR6.

I now ONLY purchase these from TRF and am grateful to pay the extra
price.   You should fit these "dry" with everything out of the way
and measure everything first.  One item of note is the amount of
threads into the block, I purchased a 1/4" longer grade 8 bolt and
it does not bottom out, but double check this as well.  The adaptor
hangs at a 15 degree angle to clear everything.

One thing for certain, it better be straight, it better only have
ONE gasket, and it better be from TRF.  Notice the "boss" it screws
into is VERY small and WILL snap off the block... not a good day!

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 345-2879