Re: Spin on Adapters

To: "Richard G. Taylor" <rgt3000@one.net>
Subject: Re: Spin on Adapters
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:44:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Richard G. Taylor wrote:

> Hello listers
>
> I am considering changing to a spin on adapter for my TR4A.  What is the
> difference between the the Purolator and the tecalamit?  I am not sure which
> one to buy.  Can someone provide some direction?

Usually the difference is in what firm is making the aftermarket part,
so Purolator and Tecalamit is a bit confusing. Vicky Brit sells an
aftermarket filter adapter, as does Moss. The two firms seem to buy from
different sources, since replies to this list have suggested that the
adapters from those two sources differ as to how they install. The one I
bought for my TR6 engine from Vicky Brit could not be tightened down
enough for the inner land to contact the block (a serious problem,
because the sump oil would flow directly into the journals instead of
going through the filter), while the ones sold by Moss have occasionally
been described as leaking from the outside o-ring because the inner land
was taller than the outer (not a particularly good situation, either).

What I've read here and experienced boils down to this--there are enough
variations in how the block was machined that either type may have a
chance of leaking, and that some additional machining may be necessary.
I consider the former example much more serious--if the adapter seals at
the outside, one may assume that everything is okay, but oil can easily
bypass the filter if the o-ring on the inner land isn't in firm contact
with the inner boss. Surest way to find out is to grease the inner
o-ring and test-install the adapter. If there's no grease on the inner
boss, that's an indication that the o-ring isn't sealing, and that the
outer land (the part that contacts the square o-ring usually sealing the
stock outer canister) is too long, and must have material machined off.

As for your original question, both types are probably just fine, given
the above considerations for fit. You must check the fit. Don't assume
that the part will work well right out of the box.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....