Re: TR3 glovebox material

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR3 glovebox material
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 19:09:44 -0800
Cc: MDWalker@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim...   you can make a cylinder out of the styrene and simply glue it
down (use Weld-On) to
a flat piece... and trim... etc.

Procedure:  Measure the circumference of the "oval"... and how deep you
want it.  Cut this out of the styrene sheet by scoring with a matt
knife/razor blade/etc. and break...

Wrap the long piece around to form a cylinder... and use weld-on to glue
it together.  If this proves difficult, you can cut thin piece of
styrene to bridge this joint... and weld-on the whole thing together...
little c-clamps come in handy...  masking tape can also hold it together
while gluing... but only on the outside (unseen) side... as some glue
may get under the tape do to the capilary action...

Then draw your oval shape on a flat piece of styrene with a pencil.

Now put your cylinder down on the flat piece... as soon as you have it
lined up over your pencil drawing... apply Weld-On... (it's handy to get
a little dispenser bottle with a metal, needle-like tip on the end...
from a hobby store.)

HOld it for a few minutes... until it all holds itself...  Let this sit
for an hour or two...  then run a blade around the outside of the oval,
on the flat piece... to score it... so you can trim by breaking it
off...

This is only one of a myriad of ways to build the same item with
styrene... once you start using the stuff... you'll cum up with a lot of
methods.

1/8" styrene doesn't take "punches" well.. better to just drill.

It can be painted...  just sand with a fine grit...  or scuff up with a
fine 3M sanding pad.

Ideally, this item could be vacuum formed... (I have access to such
machines) but it's really not worth the trouble to build your own
homemade machine unless you're a model builder.... etc.

--Justin

YOu won't need "bendable tabs".