sealing plugs

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: sealing plugs
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:23:32 -0700
The TR6 (74-76 US spec models) came with a EGR valve mounted on the
right side of the cylinder head. The valve was mounted by a 3/4 UNF
thread pipe at its bottom which was screwed into a matching opening in
the head. I have removed the valve and wish to plug (ie. seal) the hole.

I have a 3/4 UNF bolt which I will need to cut to size so that it is not
too long. That's no problem. But what I am unsure of is how to make a
proper seal. I have tried to find a copper washer but all the local
hardware places don't stock a copper washer large enough for a 3/4 inch
bolt (it is one huge bolt - takes a 1-1/4" wrench!). I have considered
using the same compound which is used on exhaust systems to make the
seal but am looking for other options from the list.

Anyone have suggestions?

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada