Re: Electric fans/power gain

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Electric fans/power gain
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 07:22:23 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Dave,
> I had the same problem-was relieved, not happy though, to see it's a fairly
> common problem with GT6's and not just my car!!  When adjusted to the
> factory spec of 4 deg ATDC (and a non functioning vacuum adv/retard, they
> don't call it retard for nothing :-}) timed to get by the smog check, this
> car would puke anti-freeze all over the place at idle, and run damn near
> the red mark in slow traffic.  Always made me real nervous every time I had
> to go through this for fear of getting the thing too hot and doing some
> damage.  Naturally, my check would come in the middle of summer!!  Thank
> god (actually SB42)I don't have to go through that BS any more!  Back at
> the bat-cave I would reinstall the rebuilt dist with working vacuum advance
>  and reset the timing to 12 deg before (the old run until it pings, then
> back off.  This is where mine likes it).  Much more power, and no more
> overheating.  Still, it will run a little warmer in stop and go traffic,
> but no where near what it does set to factory specs -

Barry, are you telling me that the vacuum advance is _supposed_
to be non functional???  And I thought mine was busted <grin>.
Seriously, that's how I set my timing, adjust until it pings,
then back off.  Tried to set it using a timing light once and
it would barely run.  Like I said, as long as the car is moving,
cooling is no problem, so a fan that comes on when I'm stuck in
traffic seems worth looking into.  Somebody suggested using
Subaru fans and the two speed VW unit might also work.  My
Vanagon has a two stage thermo switch that might be adapted
if I can find a place to mount it.
Dave