Re[2]: boot lock barrel removal

To: "otmc@bc1.com" <otmc@bc1.com>, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re[2]: boot lock barrel removal
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:26:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@mit.edu
     Regarding cost, a new barrel from Moss (with 2 keys) is only $13.95
     U.S.. ...

     I doubt a locksmith could match that. But I'll ask anyway.

     Jeff

Subject: Re: boot lock barrel removal
Author:  Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> at SMTP
Date:    3/26/98 2:13 PM

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, otmc@bc1.com wrote:

> The easiest solution is to take your car to a locksmith and have them fit a
> new key to your lock. The cheaper and easier for the locksmith option is to
> remove the lock from your trunk and take it in to a locksmith and have them
> make you a key. I've done both, the first cost me 30.00 CDN and the second
> cost me 18.00 CDN.

It might be easier than that. Most of the trunk lock handles will have the
three-digit key code number stamped on the square shaft (in the case of
the turn-handle style) or somewhere on the underside of the latch/lock
mechanism (other styles of lock). So long as either you or the locksmith
can figure out who made the handle and lock (usually Wilmot-Breeden, I
think), it should be easy to make a key by code.

--Andy