Re: Is charging surcharge for parts a standard practice?

To: Bobby Whitaker <bjbrew@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Is charging surcharge for parts a standard practice?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:28:41 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bobby,
It is indeed a standard practice in this and other fields as well.  The
$35.00 per hour is extremely cheap since most mechanics now charge
upwards of $60/hr.  It all boils down to how you feel about it and how
much extra he will charge for installing your parts.

I am in the computer business and usually I install upgrades free, but
when somebody wants me to install parts that they buy, My fee is $50/hr
and I don't (can't) guarantee the parts.  So the whole thing sounds very
reasonable to me.

When I was a high schooler and worked in a Full service Gas Station, my
boss had a sign that read, "Flats fixed-$1.00, You help-$2.00, You fix
the flat with our tools-$5.00"

Regards,
Joe Curry

--