Re: TR3 with straight six.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 with straight six.
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:22:05 -0800
Roger writes:
>    While I was at the New Orleans British car show this weekend, I
>noticed a very interesting TR3 with a straight six. The block looked
>like t was from a GT-6. Its number started with a KD. The unusual part
>was the head. It look like about an inch or more from the intake and
>manifold side was missing. The edge was almost flush with the edge of
>the valve cover. Is this some sort of custom head or did they really
>mill that much off the intake and manifold side?
The engine prefix would indicate a very late MK1 or MK2 GT6.  However, I
don't see how the head could be milled on that side as the studs that hold
the cylinder head on are there, exposed on that side between the manifold
mounting surface and the valve cover, and if one were to mill that area
close to the valve cover you would also remove these (among other things)-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)