TR3 temperature gauge question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 temperature gauge question
From: Adrio Taucer <adrio@capitalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:10:59 -0500
Listers,

I have a TR3 in which the PO changed the temperature gauge to an
electric one (I assume he could not get the original type).  The
problems I am faced with are: I do not know what application the new
gauge came from; I do no know what temperature the TR3 is suppose to run
at; and, I do not know what voltage the voltage stabilizer that should
be with this gauge operates at (the PO did not put a stabilizer in).

The sender unit is a Smiths.  I have characterized it and have a plot of
resistance vs. temperature (for what good that does at this point).  The
gauge looks like the TR4 electric gauge BUT it does not have temperature
values on it, rather it just has an H and a C at the extreme ends of the
arc.

My questions to the collective knowledge of the list are: what
temperature does the  TR3 run at when operating normally on a summer
day; any hints as to the voltage required for this gauge;  where in the
arc of the gauge should the "normal" operating temperature be (should it
be in the middle or closer to the H);  What is the highest temperature
the TR3 engine should be allowed to operate at (I could put this at the
H); and, any idea where this gauge comes from.

All this is in a effort to obtain the proper voltage reference for this
gauge.  I am willing to build a solid state regulator to provide this
reference so I can have any voltage I want.  I just have too may
variables for the amount of data available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adrio Taucer
'59 TR3
Ottawa, Canada

PS I am on the digest, so please cc this address with any reply