TR4 Surrey Top (was Re: TR Rear Window??)

To: ian.clough@entrust.com
Subject: TR4 Surrey Top (was Re: TR Rear Window??)
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:19:56 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>   I just received the latest Moss publication (Spring '98).  On the
>  cover is a beatiful yellow TR4 with a rear window.  I've seen this type
>  of window before in magazine pics of TRs, my question is:  Was this
>  window a factory option?  I doubt it, but then again what do I know? :-)
>    Second question is:  Can one of these be adapted/available for a TR6?

Ian, what you see is a TR4 equiped with the "Surrey Top."  And yes, it was a
factory option.  The window section you see is called the "backlight."  There
are two more parts which come with the backlight.   The first is a metal piece
which goes over the tonneau (cockpit) between the backlight and the windscreen
This closes up the car.  Since this metal closure is too big for the boot
(trunk) there is also a canvas piece with "sticks" which fills the space if
needed while on the road.

See my History article at www.vtr.org on the TR4 page for some more info.

There was a thread recently about adopting for a TR6.  If I remember, I think
the conclusion was that it might fit.  I'm sure some "TR6er" will jump on
this.  :-)  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant