[no subject]

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:41:45
>James,
>I think you are talking about the "Free Wheeling Device that Saab
>designed in the mid-60's.  It was a very unique piece of technology.

The biggest reason why SAAB used the frewheeling clutch was the 2 cycle
engine employed in these early cars.  2 cycle engines use oil in the gas
(petrol) to lubricate.  Consider what a hard, closed throttle deceleration
while in gear would do to a 2 cycle engine.  No added fuel, therefore no
added lubrication, while the weight of the car was forcing the engine to
spin at an elevated rpm. Obviously, a major lack of lubrication to the engine.

BTW - from what I have heard, this engine was a blast to drive.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1988 SAAB 9000S, 4 cycle engine