Re: Spit shift

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spit shift
From: "Revere W Gurley" <REEGURLEY@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:31:24 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
On Kevin's question about Spit shifter-knobs, I don't have a spare knob, but
can pass along a little food for thought.  In very early 1974, Spits went
from a 3-rail shift-linkage to a 1-rail shifter.  The 3-railers had reverse
to the left-and-up (if memory serves correctly - I sold my early 74 about 20
years ago); the 1-railers had reverse to the right-and-up.  J-type OD
replaced D-type OD around 1971 (?).  Sounds like you could well have the
proper (for 77) J-type OD with the proper (for 77) tranny, but that both
shifter-knob heads are for the pre-74 3-rail shift-pattern.  My 78 w/OD has
the correct pattern on the plastic top, so such animals must be available
somewhere - hopefully.

Ree Gurley, Newbie ol' geeze in Silver Spring, MD, USA
78 Spit ("Needs cosmetics"  -  like Phyllis Diller)