Re: Stuck tie rod end - help?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck tie rod end - help?
From: tomwalling@pvh.com
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:44:00 -0500

>The tapered bolt just won't pop out of the link.

>My pickle fork end is now mushroomed.  I heated it with
>a torch, not enough to glow 'cause I don't want to ruin
>the link, but the grease was smoking.  I doused it with
>WD40 and its sitting now, sulking.  I'll go get some of that
>PB Blaster that seems to have a good reputation and
>pound on my pickle fork some more.

>Any better ideas?  Thanks.

>Cliff Hansen
>chansen@exis.net
>1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (Anxious to be done with front end work)

A "crusty" old mechanic I knew who specialized in front-end work always used
the "two-hammer" technique for removing tapered bolts.  This involves
placing a large, heavy hammer on one side of the "eye" that the tapered bolt
is in, and whacking the other side with an equally large hammer.  This is as
scary to see as it is to describe, but it is effective!  What happens is the
"eye" is temporarily deformed by the impact, and the tapered bolt "pops"
out.  The heavy hammer that acts as an anvil keeps the impact concentrated
on the stuck bolt, and prevents the force from going into the other
components of the front end.  The "eye" won't be harmed or ovaled because
the bolt will make it stay round.  Just don't be afraid to give it some
force.  I've used this ever since, and have never had a problem.