Re: Bleeding Nipples

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bleeding Nipples
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:37:14 -0000
Following on from Sumner Weisman and predecessors...

Bleed nipples (or screw or valves) usually seize through corrosion. BUT some
POs tighten them up so hard that the end spreads; male tube nuts on brake
pipes do the same.
The conical bit on the end does the sealing so bleed nipples only need
tightening moderately. The worst offenders are the tiny, 1/4 inch UNF bleed
screws found on the back wheel cylinders of many Britmobiles.

Incidentally, these cylinders are held on by big 'C' clips which are
desperately hard to fit. Does anyone have a magic trick for fitting them?

Re. the use of Coke (the drink not the drug) for loosing things, I've used
it on Jaguar alloy cylinder heads, where the studs pass through into the
block. I used to build a well out of Plasticene, (Don't know if this is US
name-it's like a reusable modelling clay) pour in some Coke, leave it
overnight then the head just lifts off. Coke also goes through even
established paint finishes like lightning. Makes you wonder what it does to
your digestive tract, doesn't it?

Re. Nick Larkin, (Practical Classic, formerly of Popular Classics) he makes
the mistake of thinking he's amusing when he's not. However, if you think
he's bad, have you experienced Jeremy Clarkson in the US yet? You're in for
a treat-not.

Regards,

Dave Hill