Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb

To: randle@concentric.net
Subject: Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 09:05:01
Cc: carbuff@scooter.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Randle,

I just wrote a reply to triumphs@autox.team.net that offered this
explanation, also, but had not seen your reply.  I think this
is a factor in my big leak, as noted in that response.

My cap is not vented, and is not supposed to be vented (I think).  But
I had the vapor recovery lines all plugged, and pressure definitely
built up.  I got a big belch from the tank when I opened the fuel filler cap.

Thanks,
Ray

--- On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:08:44 -0800  Rod Randle <randle@concentric.net>
wrote:

>I don't have an answer but I do have a possiblity.  Is the gas cap supposed to
>be a
>sealed cap or vented cap.  If it is supposed to be vented and a sealed cap is
>put
>on what are the chances of gas in the tank expanding and forcing the carb to
>overflow?  I have heard of this problem somewhere before but I don't remember
>where.
>
>Rod Randle
>'78 Spit

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.