RE: TR6 upgrades - drum brake on "nose of diff"

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: TR6 upgrades - drum brake on "nose of diff"
From: "Ackley, Aaron T" <ackleya@hq.7arcom.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:47:50 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I have seen old trucks with a drum (sort of) brake on the driveshaft...

it was called a band brake, and was sort of a reverse drum, one long
flexible pad that wrapped around the outside and was tightened by a
cable.

whenever used (in motion) the cab of the truck would fill with horrible
(prob toxic) brake smoke........

needless to say, it is not found on modern trucks