Re: Unanswered Questions - Venting

To: "Ed Hutchinson" <hutch837@juno.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Unanswered Questions - Venting
From: "Bob Danielson" <rdaniels@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:32:59 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Ed,
I was the one who posted the "disappointed" message that stirred things up
last month. The reaction I got was most interesting, with responses
(50 -75 - mostly to me privately) falling into 3 big buckets: Flamers
(ignored them - I have a thick skin), the experts who admitted to not
answering the simple questions because they assumed someone else would do so
privately (I agree with you, we all need the help of the experts) and, much
to my surprise, a large number of people who felt just as I expressed and,
therefore, don't post messages anymore (they just lurk). I also agree with
you in that before posting a message, we should research whatever manuals we
have available. Many people assumed that the procedure for "jacking a car to
put it on jack stands"  was in the car manual or Haynes manual. It isn't
(well I couldn't find it) .... changing a tire is there, but not getting a
car totally up, off the ground and SAFELY positioned on jack stands. Seeing
as this is probably the only thing we do on our cars that has the potential
to KILL us if done wrong, I was looking for some expert advice. And I
ultimately received GREAT advice...... both on proper floor jack points
(some disagreement, however, over jacking from the differential) and jack
stand placement. Plus tips on "rejacking" to let the jack stands square up,
using wood to spread the load, place the removed wheels on the ground to
"catch the car" if it falls and "try to rock the car to make sure it's
solid". No ONE person had all the tips but the collective wisdom of many
people made me feel very safe, working under my car for the first time. My
point here is that Ed is 100% right..... there are no dumb questions.....
and we all need the combined knowledge that resides in the experts and non
experts on this list. I'm sure many of you have forgotten more than I'll
ever know about LBCs.  :-) ..... but it doesn't mean I'm dumb.

BTW ..... I think I individually thanked everyone who replied  to my
"disappointed post" but I may have lost some messages between my laptop and
desktop when I returned home from vacation. If so, please accept my
apologies and a very sincere thank you to everyone who ended up supporting
my comments and answering my question.
Bob Danielson
75 TR6 - Current status at:
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD