Re: Reproduction of Out-of-Print Manuals

To: <jaltman@altlaw.com>, "'Chris Sharp'" <sharpc@hqce.aetc.af.mil>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Reproduction of Out-of-Print Manuals
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:13:12 -0600
I have a TR2-TR4A Haynes published under the Drake Publishers Inc.
name, although the Copyright is JH Haynes 1972. I have the very same
book, by Haynes with a 1971 and 1980 Copyright. One TR5, 250 & 6 Haynes
has Copyright dates of 1974, 1978 and 1987 and a second I have lists
only 1974 and 1978. I have a third one of these, but it's still in the
wrapper. None of the manuals list printing dates. I case you are
wondering, I'm keeping the manuals so that when I give the cars to my
kids (or sell them God forbid!) they'll have appropriate repair
materials.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: jaltman@altlaw.com
> To: 'Chris Sharp' <sharpc@hqce.aetc.af.mil>; triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: RE: Reproduction of Out-of-Print Manuals
> Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 5:28 PM
>

> Well, lets look at this question a bit more carefully, some one who
has at
> late printing of the manual, what is the copyright date and
publication
> date.  In the U.S. there was a major change in the copyright laws in
1976
> and there might be a window that their copyright has been left to
expire.
> They would probably not admit (or may not know) that it has.  There
were
> some transitional rule in effect and we may be able to take advantage
of
> them.
>

> Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
> http://www.altlaw.com/    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK