Re: Speedo clean up question

To: jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: Speedo clean up question
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 22:23:25 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim:

Just had mine serviced since the bearing and shaft locked up
(yes, those who remember my post on snapping the speedo cable,
that was the cause).  Took it to a shop that only sevices
speedometers (didn't realize that there was such a demand). When
I brought in the Smith, his first question was, was it from a Jag?

Anyway, I picked it up today and asked if he had to replace any parts.
He indicated no, that it is common that after so much use/time, the
inner bearings of the shaft and some other parts which I never heard
of and probably couldn't recall the names eventually get out of sink
and need lubed. He didn't indicate what he used, but the key point
was that whenever you take apart the speedometer to repair or
lube you must recalibrate the device (yes, there is a magnetic
component to the workings). When I asked how he knows how to calibrate
the speedo, he indicated that all speedometers have a number on them
that
tells the specific calibration for the car it is installed in.

So, be careful if you plan on taking it apart and try to lube yourself.
If you want to be safe, you could do this and then take the speedo to
a shop and have it recalibrated.

For those who live in central PA, the shop I used is Powl's Speedometer
Service outside of Lancaster (717 898-2552). Only bad thing about the
guy was he was a MG owner! Just kidding. Was a really nice guy who
would have spent half the day talking about LBCs.

Jim, on a different note, I still need to get the measurements from
your stereo you got from Custom Auto Sound (" between posts and
the dimensions of the nose piece: H and W). They can't make the
adjustments on mine until I can give the measurements.

Thanks.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6