Re: TR 4A STRUCK BY VAN

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: TR 4A STRUCK BY VAN
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 98 10:20:18 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Justin Wagner wrote:
        > I went to a post office today, in my hometown...  I parked behind a
van.
['nuff said]

We all have stories like this.  I drove the Pantera to Monterey last year
for the Historics, and had to make a run to the local hardware store for
"parking lot repairs" stuff.  While we were inside, the cashier came to us
and said "Someone just backed into your car, got out, looked at the damage,
and left.  I got their number".  Sure enough, there was a dent in the bonnet
and pieces of paint on the ground.  I called the police, and they were there in
10 mins.  They called the driver (who was home by this) and said that if they
did not return to the scene of the accident, they would be charged with hit
and run.  10 mins later, driver returns with son in tow to act as a
translator (English was not the drivers native tongue).  "No damage"
they cried, but the witness and paint on the hit&run car was way too
convincing, so we got the name of their insurer.  When we got back to
San Diego, an assessor sized up the damage, we got 3 quotes, and cash
changed hands.

Pretty painless, but unnecessary had she been more careful and stayed
off the cellular phone when driving.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the car was an SUV and the witness noted
that the woman was on the phone when the "accident" happened?

        Shane Ingate in San Diego