Re: Driveshafts and hubs - Herald/Spitfire and GT6/Vitesse Mk I 2.0 litr

To: <WINDOWSEET@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Driveshafts and hubs - Herald/Spitfire and GT6/Vitesse Mk I 2.0 litre
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:23:20 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: Driveshafts and hubs - Herald/Spitfire and GT6/Vitesse Mk I
2.0 litre
Date: 20 February 1998 03:10

<< mac@ndirect.co.uk (jonmac)
 Sender:        owner-triumphs@autox.team.net

Hello John;

I had no idea that you owned a GT6! I was in love with that car the minute
saw it in 1967 and when the GT6+ model hit the US market I snatched one up
from a Triumph/Morgan dealer in Reading, Pennsylvania. 28 years later I am
the
proud owner of "Ian" a 1970 GT6+ in BRG with minilites.

Please don't apologize for your verbal largess! Your information is very
much
appreciated. There has been much discussion about the weakness of GT6+
transmissions and differentials. I want to madify the engine on my GT6+ and
keep the drivetrain original, however, I am not opposed to modifying the
original equipment to make it more reliable. Do you have any incite on what
could be done to improve the gearbox or diffrential? The opinion and
information from an insider would be greatly appreciated! Two thousand
words
or less would do nicely!!

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re. your last sentence - I laughed so much, all the loose tobacco in my
pipe bowl fell out and disappeared into the keyboard. As I hadn't got
dressed when I read it - a piece of hot ash went elsewhere, but modesty and
global propriety precludes further elaboration!
To answer your question, perhaps could I quote my former mentor and foreman
from the Allesley (pronounced Orlsli) Service Department in Coventry - one
Gordon 'opkins? There was an 'H' at the start of his name, but he never
seemed to need it himself. I once asked him a similar question about like
performance plans for my own GT6.
This was his reply - or pretty close to it:
"Don't be ******* daft, bluddy car's fast enuff. If yow reely 'ave ter try
an' kill yowself, best thing yow can do is get a few on 'em in yowr 'ome
fer spares. That means when either booger blows up - yow can bung in a new
'un. Uvverwise lad, ******* leave them fings well alone and oontutched."
Good old Gordon - he was right, but then he always was! A great character,
my Dad employed him in 1928 straight from school.
Have you read "Racing at THE GRENADIER" yet in my stories? The diff on that
car went bang with a static occupant loading of five people and a clutch
'dropped in' at around 6000rpm from a standstill. As I recall, the gearbox
didn't suffer at all - but the diff and rotaflexes didn't come out so well.
Sorry, Greg - draw your own conclusions on this one
There, how's that for length?
Regards
John Macartney