TR3 Front Suspension

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 Front Suspension
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:10:56 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I need some advice.  I'm reinstalling the front suspension on my TR3A.  Both
Haynes and the Service Instruction Manual state that , "It is essential to
have .004"to .012" end float for the outer boss of each lower wishbone arm.
... Equal tightening should be applied to the two castellated nuts and
continued until the assembly is solid.".  This is where I have a problem.
What do they mean by "solid"?  There were no torque wrench settings listed
in either manual.  Do they mean tighten by hand until solid?  Maybe I'm too
literal but "solid" could mean different things to different people.  Solid
for the Incredible Hulk would be different than solid for a 160 lbs weakling
like me.
        Thanks for all your help!!!
Bob
1960 TR3A (searching for the proper end float)