Smog II

To: Shane Ingate <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Smog II
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:33:26 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
        Shane,

        RE:A question for the list; if I put SuperTrapps on my car, to
enable the
test probe to be inserted in the exhaust, I would have to remove the
baffles.  Can a smog station refuse to test my car because of the
noise it would make?  It certianly would not affect its "pollution
perfromance".

        Yes, it might. Generally speaking, lower back pressure tends to
increase emissions of HC because less combustion of residual HC occurs in
the manifold. This effect would be most pronounced in cars that were
delivered from the factory with an air pump, since those engines rely on
back pressure and fresh O2 to burn significant quantities of HC *after* the
exhaust gas has left the combustion chamber. Also, the resulting mixture
might be leaner, which *might* tend to increase NOx emissions, depending on
other factors.

        I'm sorry to hear CA is introducing an NOx standard for smog
checks, that means the rest of the US will eventually follow. The days of
getting past the check by leaning the carbs on a modified engine are
numbered.

        Best regards,

        Tom Marincic