Re: Front Shock Removal

To: dchilds@epri.com
Subject: Re: Front Shock Removal
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 9:14:09 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )
Dave,
     I went to a parts store that sell VW stuff and bought a spring
compresser from them for under $20. The "hooks" are a little too long so
they hit or scratch the larger part of the shock. I just cut them down with
a hacksaw. I have used it on 3 different cars now (GT6 & Spits) and have had
no problems.
Good Luck,
 Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
71 Spitfire MKIV FK9365L
Austin, TX
http://www.exact.com/~gt6mk3

Dave Wrote:
"I am about to remove the front shocks on my Spit.  I ordered a tool
from VB but it was going to be on back order for some time.  So I
ordered the tool from MOSS.  Unfortunately I did not look at the tool
before I ordered it.  As most of you probably know, that tool will not
work!  It looks like I have two options:

1  Use the weight of the car to some how safely decompress and
compress the spring

2  Build a tool.
I have some ideas but more are welcome!"