79 1500 electrical info please (kinda long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 79 1500 electrical info please (kinda long)
From: "Larry Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:30:01 PST
What's the word i normally use at the beginning of one of these...oh
yea...HELLLLLLLLLLLLP...yea that's it.

In preparing to attempt to possibly start the spitty this weekend, i
have been feverishly replacing parts, now has new plugs, coil, rotor,
cap etc. new water pump.  emptied coated and re installed fuel tank. new
fuel lines (rubber for now, going to steel lines all around next month,
darn months are longer than the money).  NOW for the problem, i don't
have an ignition switch, i ordered one from moss and it's b/o, vb
doesn't carry them any longer so for now no switch. have the ignition
itself and the cable coming from the engine compartment, but nothing to
put between.  i know that i need to short 2 of the wires in the harness
together to keep the motor running after it's started, and remove the
short to stop the motor.  question is which 2 wires?  since i have never
dealt with a car where the solenoid/relay for the starter was not
mounted to the starter it'self, it has become curioser and curiouser.  i
have a remote starter switch that i use on every car i work on, (just
easier that way) and am assuming (i know bad thing to do) that i can
short 2 of the wires together and then use the remote switch to kick the
starter and hence the engine into some variety of running mode. (no
guarantees).  I have the haynes manual with me and am referencing page
266 which appears to be for my model 1500 vs. the commision numbers.
object 4 on the page is the ignition switch.  there are 8 contacts
shown, 6 around the outside and 2 inside that circle.  starting at the
top 1 and going clockwise to 6 then 7 inside left 8 inside right.  im
thinking #2 and 3 but want to be sure before i nuke a brand new battery.

tia

larry,
1979 spitfire  #FM99248U currently several shades of overspray

50 thousand driveway miles, at least it seems that way from pushing it
around.

NOW ON THE WEB at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311 drop
a line and sign the guest book.