Re: Storage Question - TR3 Engine/tranny

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Subject: Re: Storage Question - TR3 Engine/tranny
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 22:16:40 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Musson, Carl wrote:

> I am wanting to "pack away" the extra engine/tranny unit I recently
> acquired.  The engine turns and has decent compression on all cylinders.
> I drained and refilled the tranny and engine.  All openings have been
> plugged.
>
> Is there anything else I should do?  Should the engine be turned (by
> hand) periodically, or will it be ok for the next 2 years.  It will be
> stored inside the garage and if I need to get to it; it will make a
> difference as to where it will be.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Carl

Carl,

  If the length of storage will really only be two years, then the only
recomendations I'd make are to oil the cylinders up, drain the carb
bowls, and yes- move the crankshaft ( with spark plugs removed from
head) around a revolution or two every three months or so.
  If you are likely to store the engine longer, it would be wise to remove
the rocker shaft, to aleviate stresses on the valve return springs.  If you
take this step, (also highly recommended for a two year storage,) then
you may not have to rotate the crank for  half year intervals.  Just make
sure ALL spark plugs are removed before you attempt to rotate the
crankshaft.
  You should always spray oil into the spark plug holes  every time you crank
any engine over that has sat for longer than 1/2 year.  It's a good thing.
(Stolen
quote, there)

                                                JOE IV
                                                TR 250